POST TRAUMA STRESS DISORDER
Trauma, damage to the physical and mental integrity of the individual or witnessing it
that is. The person feels helpless, terrified in the face of this event and the event suddenly
must have taken place.
Trauma types are divided into natural and man-made. Example of natural traumas
We can give natural disasters such as earthquakes, floods, landslides. Traumas experienced by human hands are;
rape, injury, war, violence, accidents, witnessing someone’s murder
can be exemplified. Divorce, separation, job loss are among the traumatic events according to the perception of the person.
While the effects of trauma improve in many people over time, some people last for years and do not heal. Person
constantly remembers the traumatic event, images of the event appear frequently, have nightmares about the event,
he enters a feeling of alienation and becomes dull. The anxiety and sadness caused by the event continue.
it does. Post-traumatic stress disorder may be considered in these individuals.
Symptoms of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder:
– Persistent visualization of images of the trauma (flashback). As a result of this situation
Experiencing physical symptoms such as sweating, dizziness, palpitations.
– Having nightmares about the trauma.
– Avoiding people, places, and activities that remind you of the trauma. For example, the raped
separation of women from all men.
– Do not lose interest in the outside world.
– Dull posture.
– To be constantly on the alert, to be startled by the sounds. For example, the permanent chandeliers of someone who has experienced an earthquake
control, be prepared to escape,
– Disturbances in sleep, focus, attention.
– Constantly feeling angry and stressed.
– Not getting satisfaction from life as before.
– Memory problems.
– Inability to remember part of the traumatic event.
Risk Factors in Post Traumatic Stress Disorder:
– Previous trauma.
– Having psychopathology.
– Lack of social support
– Living in places with high crime rates.
– Working in jobs with a high probability of witnessing traumatic events (police, military…)
Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Treatment:
The effects of trauma fade with time and social support. If these effects are more than two weeks
If it persists for a long time and there is no decrease in symptoms, treatment should be started.
In people with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, depression, anxiety, sleep and eating
disorders can also be seen. Treatment of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder with medications and psychotherapies
are made .